Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

It's that time again - to reflect and give thanks and stuff ourselves with turkey! I wonder how many blogs will be written today in sincere appreciation for the blessings in our lives? Many, I'm sure.

We typically have a tradition of going around the table(s) and everyone stating something they are thankful for. I usually feel pretty lame - saying the same thing year after year. "I'm thankful for my family and friends." I mean it. 100 percent. There's really nothing more imporant, but in some ways it seems like such an safe thing to say, to blurt out in that brief splash of semi-public speaking.

In the last few years, I've tried to focus more every day on the things in my life for which I am thankful. I have a gratitude journal, and when I'm particularly down, it is always a helpful exercise to read what I've written before and then to add to it.

You will have a hard time feeling anything but "Happy" if you genuinely focus on giving thanks.

So this year, I'm thankful for a new perspective on Thanksgiving, thankful for the act of thanks, itself. Celebration of what we have - and of even what we desire - is key to a positive existence. This celebration is worthwhile everyday, but an annual reminder in November is okay, too.

No comments: